Saturday 30 April 2011

Observe the events as they occur around you.

by Mahdi Mala Abdullah
Although my country where I live doesn’t provide me a chance to express what my mind is full with, Iam aware and confident of the fact that the place where I write and write about is secure and respectful toward my views.  I feel completely safe to express my opinions as the way I wish within the environment of The American University of Iraq-Sulaimani. Several of you might afraid of the words, “of Iraq-Sulaimani,” but you should not. Even if we have been banned from maintaining a complete freedom of expression in our country, we still have the “American University” as one of the best environments to gain this right fully.
For now, let’s forget about “of Iraq-Sulaimani” and find another way to maintain that right. Let’s pretend that we are students at the “American University” only. For sure, none of the ways will be better than AUI-S to get that right. We study in a nice and well-educated environment that can be a starting point for developing our country in various grounds. Freedom of expression can be one of those fields that can be improved. It is true that our people who demand for the right of the freedom of expression are experincing a tough situation in our region and country, but we should remember that the same fact is just unavailable at our university. you may argue me about that, but let's test this. Let's speak freely. Once we could identify those who are against our will, no matter who those people would be such as students, staff members, or people in the administration, we should be able to explain them the reality of freedom of expression  in a way that they should not only be able to prevent us from that right, but also do not dare to talk about it. But how can we do that?!
Bear with me for a while….
For sure, we can fully express our opinions if we act positively. It is true that we have the right to shout, “Freedom” as loud as we can, but we should also remember there is a responsibility with the freedom. We have more responsibility than just saying, “We need freedom.” Right now, it is our duty to help improve and develop our university toward that goal. We can develop this environment not only by criticizing or showing the weakness of it, but also via appreciating the numerous advantages that AUI-S had provided for us so far. 
Barack Obama once said: "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” AUI-S is a unique environment where combines the students in all of the Iraqi provinces. So, we, the students, have the best chance to benefit from the significant moments that our country is experiencing right now. We need to be a main player and play a big role in regaining the peace and security not only for this region, but also for all Iraq. I promise we can if each of us acts as the way we consider ourselves. Since almost all of us, as the students, are considering ourselves as the future Iraqi leaders, we should think and take the responsibility of being a leader from now if we want to make our dreams become true. Obviously, if we try to change the political situation that we are facing outside the university right now, we will be trying “to get blood out of a stone” (English proverb). However, not all of us, but a small group of us can help develop the AUI-S environment for now. Later, we can apply the developments of the AUI-S to bring changes for the entire country.  

7 comments:

  1. It's a good place to pretend that freedom is protected, but it's not. I'm the witness if you need one, I've been warned several times on the actions I was going to conduct, guys say the facts instead of archic cliche which one day we believed in. The fact is freedom of speech is more widespread in Suli Uni rather than AUI-S thanks to their students, not their faculty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the title of this blog, (the third eye) which means "chawy seham" in kurdish is plagiarism because it was the name of a kurdish TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great kak Mahdy, I see what you saying about AUIS, and I mostly agree with you that it is and will be the nest of freedom fighters and those who attend to be leaders of the future. And it is my pleasure that I am a member of this home. However, our home is not excellent, and we should be realistic and be careful about that. If we think of it cretically, we will improve it. Why does not AUIS have a newspaper which describes an event out of the university? Do you think all AUIS students are treated equally? Do you think there is no injustice at AUIS? Do you think if we all as the representer of AUIS stand against injustice and corruption in Kurdistan, AUIS supports us? I can tell you more and more about the meaknesses of AUIS, but lets stop here. AGAIN, I am proud of AUIS, and that does not mean AUIS does not have any strengths. But again, we should be realistic about it in order to improve it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Mahdy
    let me congratulate you for this wonderful, meaningful, understandable
    and strong in words article. I hope you to get your gaols. And I wish if I could have a possible participation in achieving the goal that you mentioned in the article. you really impressed me. Go towards your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Anonymous, I had already acredited that Kurdish Channel for that. Read what is in the contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. assalamu alaikum congratulation my brother, I am so proud of my country we have one student like you, i hope you and other ones can make some thing in the futur in middle east inshaallah, i am here to stand beside of you if you need me, i am sure you can do every thing by your self,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Kaka Mahdi,

    Good job for the new projecct.

    Hope to see it progress. Though, I have two comments.

    1- The article above was like a kind of pep-talk and didn't meet with your title. I didn't know what your point was.
    2- I guess having a new blog is maintaining the smae job of the first one. Even though, I am hoping that this one would be different, but I doubt it. Why? because blogs are not accurate sources of news (No offense), it is just the nature of blogs. They are easy to function.

    Anyways, best of luck, and going forward.

    ReplyDelete