Sunday 7 October 2012

Miss Elegance at the First Annual Miss Kurdistan Beauty Pageant Is an AUIS Student

by The Third Eye

Aveen Azad, 22, Miss Elegance.
Photo sent by Aveen.
Sulaimani, Kurdistan Region– In June 2012, Aveen Azad Khalifa, 22, was crowned Miss Elegance 2012 at Erbil’s Rotana Hotel. Azad’s title also means that she took the runner-up at the First Annual Miss Kurdistan Beauty Pageant. It is worth mentioning that Miss Kurdistan was Shene Ako,19, from Ranya, a small town in the Kurdistan Region, northeast of Sulaimani.Chosen from 12 contestants, Azad said her positions was more about hard working and setting an example for other young women to trust in their abilities rather than being beautiful and intelligent. Azad is currently residing in Sulaimani and studying her Bachelor Degree in Business Administration at the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani. The Third Eye had an exclusive interview with her.
The Third Eye: What does mean to you for taking runner-up at the First Miss Kurdistan Beauty Pageant?
Aveen: For me, this position is not only about being beautiful and intelligent, but hard working and setting an example for other young women to believe in themselves and be powerful and motivated to whatever their goals in life may be.
The Third Eye: What did encourage you to participate at the First Annual Miss Kurdistan Beauty Pageant?
Aveen:Since I was a little girl I have been watching beauty pageants on T.V.  My big family and my friends have always been very supportive and very proud of me, so it has always been my dream to be on Kurdistan beauty pageant stage representing something much more than beauty.
The Third Eye: What was the greatest challenge that you face during the event?
Aveen:The event was new for all involved, so the challenge was both on a personal as well as organization levels.  I was under a great pressure to contribute to the success of the event to show the world that Kurdistan can stage such public events successful.  In the meantime I had to be competitive and compete with the others to succeed on personal level as well. The main challenge was to find mental strength and energy to give my best at such intensive event due to limited preparation time. 
The Third Eye: What would you most like to accomplish as runner-up?
Aveen: If nothing was standing in my way, I have many things to accomplish as Miss Elegance and runner-up of the country.  But I do not want jump the gun now, I should think about them carefully.  Then will update you all.
The Third Eye: How do you define success?
Aveen:I believe that success is not something that we find it, but it is something that we make.  Everyone should work both hard and smart toward their goals because hard work will pay off in any area.
The Third Eye: What are your life ambitions?
Aveen: I would love to run my own master entertainment business where I can open my own business and provide a service for everyone.  For example, I would love to work on a fashion, and I have a plan for it with some foreign designers as well.  Then I would love to help very sick children in the near future. 
  The Third Eye: What is the greatest challenge that women face in Kurdistan today?
Aveen: We are still living in a very close-minded society in Kurdistan where women are scrutinized for their normal daily actions.  Equality between men and women is still nowhere near as it should be.  I would love to contribute to make our society more respective to women’s capabilities in improving our cultural progress towards more equal and open-minded society. It is actually all about how people choose to see things. Why not to see it in a positive way instead? 
The Third Eye: If you could change one thing to improve women's status in Kurdistan, what would that be?
Aveen: Well, to be recognized as an equal partner in contributing to the improvement of our society, I think women have to work much harder to gain the respect and acknowledgment they deserve to achieve their goals in life.
The Third Eye: How much being a college student, especially an AUIS student, helped you be in the position where you are now?
Aveen: I have been studying at AUIS for four years majoring business.  AUIS was a tremendous help because it helped me narrow down my selections in every field of my life.  I could demonstrate how my abilities greatly affect my decision.  Thank you AUIS for helping me taking these first steps towards accomplishing my dreams and towards having a successful future.
The Third Eye: What did change in your life after taking the runner-up at the First Annual Miss Kurdistan Beauty Pageant?
Aveen: Definitely, I would say many things have been changed in my life. It taught me learn how to become a stronger I am, how to talk to the media, how to represent myself in the public eye which is very important in whatever career I may choose.
The Third Eye: What is the single most important message you want to deliver to women in Kurdistan?
Aveen: Fear is only as deep as the mind allows. (Japanese Proverb)
The Third Eye: If you have anything else, we would be happier to hear about.
Aveen: Finally I would love to tell all women in Kurdistan is first maintaining a healthy lifestyle and take care of their bodies. Then I would say being able to go far, gives you more confidence and is a proof of your hard work. It motivates you to go extra mile, just because you can. 

2 comments:

  1. There is no beauty in her face, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi theгe, I found yоur blog by way of Google
    whilе ѕeaгching foг a гelated topic, youг ѕіte сame up, іt seеms gгеat.
    I hаvе bookmarκeԁ it in my gоoglе
    bοokmаrks.
    Feel free to visit my homepage ... haut fettig

    ReplyDelete