Friday 26 April 2013

An Open Letter to The Arranged Cast


From Mahdi Murad, the playwright
The Arranged cast
Now, as I am writing this article, I have a bunch of tissues right in front of me. Trust me, I don’t write not only a sentence, but also a word without shedding tears like rain. I don’t know where to start expressing my gratefulness toward all the hard work and effort you have put so far to turn one of my best dreams into reality. I am sure, a much better writer should write an article and describe you all to be worth published. However, I will try my best to use as much writing skills as I have to show at least small part of the work you have done so far to make The Arranged real.

It was Thursday, December 20th, 2013, when I published an article on the AUIS official website and promised to bring The Arranged to stage. It was a moment when I have not even written a single word of the play. It was scary at the beginning and I was afraid that I would not be able to make my promise. But, as I had met with every single of you and had you went through the auditions, I thought I would not be alone to do this project. I was convinced that with such a talented group of students, I would be able to make everything possible. Thus, I encouragingly started writing The Arranged. 

“Are you still awake?” asked my mother when she woke up for Fajir prayer. And that was the question my mother asked me every single morning for two weeks. During those two weeks, I was awake until 4:00 am every night, doing nothing just writing the play. Was that all I did? Of course not! The second week of my winter break was the same story, re-writing, re-writing, and re-writing The Arranged. I several time changed almost every single scene of the play trying to make it better and better. Luckily, I could write the whole play during those two weeks. That was how I started writing The Arranged. But, why did I do that? What encouraged me to work that hard? Well, very easy! You, The Arranged cast. I have not written any word without picturing you and your abilities all in my mind. Whenever I was lack of ideas ideas about the play, you were the main source and tool that I used to encourage myself to finish the play.

In addition to that, your diversity encouraged me more to do whatever I can to turn the play into reality. When I saw how all of you acted as if you were all members of one family-never thought of being Arab or Kurd- I said I owe this group of students a lot. That was the moment when I realized you would all record a history at AUIS. I knew you would be the best representative of drama. I knew you would all be able to deliver the true message of drama, peace! So, I simply owe every single one of you so much in away that I would never be able to pay you back.

To Bryar, the former Baker of The Arranged: 
Can you believe I cried for two nights when I realized you would not be able to be in the play because of the difficult surgery that you had? It was a moment when I realized I lost one of the pillars of The Arranged. Do you remember when we had a conversation about how much I wanted you to help me with the next projects that we would do next year after you came back to school? Well, I do. But, all I could promise was to work with you next year. However, I didn’t realize you would sacrifice not only your time, but also your health to make The Arranged happen. I would be so selfish if I would ever forget the moment when you could barely walk and came to me asked me if you could help at least as a technician. I couldn’t believe that! Now, I am saying not only me, but the whole Arranged family owes you for the dramatic amount of time and effort you have provided the cast so far. Thank you so much in deep of my heart. I also feel responsible to thank all the other students who voluntarily confirmed to work with The Arranged cast. I, on behalf of the whole cast, thank you so much and appreciate the work you have done to bring success to the play. Thank you!

To Peter Friedrich, the head of AUIS film and drama department. 
I will never be able to express how much effort you put to bring The Arranged to stage. I will simply say that without you, it would just be impossible to make the play happen. You helped us from the scratch till the moment as we are almost at the end of the play. I will never forget the time you have provided me to approve and review every single part of the play. I will never forget the moment when I gave you the first draft of the play and you said, “I don’t like this play. I love it.” Those were only two very short sentences. However, they were worth a million-page novel for me as they inspired me to do all I could do to bring success to the play. Moreover, I am sure I am not that good playwright as the audiences will see, but I will be viewed as a playwright because of your skills as the director of the play. I thank you in deep of my heart for helping me to be in a position where I stand now. I will remain as one of your students no matter how far I achieve.

To Elizabeth O’Sullivan, Academic Preparatory Program faculty at AUIS.  I thank you so much in deep of my heart for, despite of the busy schedule and long time teaching classes, helping us with almost everything with the play. Without your feedback after every single rehearsal, The Arranged would not be on the position where it is now. I am so grateful for all the support you have provided The Arranged so far. Thank you again!

April 19, after I saw giant posters of The Arranged that were hanged around the AUIS campus was the day I realized that The Arranged was worth even much more time and effort I have devoted so far. However, I must mention that it is true that there are words like, “The Arranged, by Mahdi Murad,” on every single poster that is around the campus. However, I also encourage people to read and see the words, “And Academic Preparatory Program” that are written under my name. I can proudly say that The Arranged cast, a group of talented APP students, helped The Arranged from the scratch to the end. They helped The Arranged to be what is it now. Their contributions and suggestions helped the play to experience such success. So, I will be so selfish if I only see my name on the posters. This talented group of students-along with the help of Friedrich, the director, and Elizabeth- contributed as much as I did to the play. So, again, I am proud to say, “The Arranged, by Mahdi Murad and Academic Preparatory Program.”

Last but not least, last year, almost at the moment, there was a same poster with the same size hanging at the same place. But, that poster was completely different. Last year’s poster was written, “Noor, by Akbar Ahmed,” and I was one of the cast members. For this year, it is written, “The arranged, by Mahdi Murad,” and I am the playwright. What a wonderful feeling! What is happening right now was something I pictured three months ago when I have not written even a single word of the play. Now, I know the bigger event is yet to come. However, I truly believe I, with the help of the people I mentioned above, accomplished a big deal of my plan and turned, at least, big part of my dream into reality, which is being a playwright.

Now, it is just amazing to see the words, “the world premiere of The Arranged is coming soon,” all around the campus. I am so happy to invite all the AUIS community to the opening night of the The Arranged.




No comments:

Post a Comment