Saturday 5 October 2013

Fahrettin Sumer, a Star Professor at AUIS


by
The Third Eye

February 2012 was a shining moment for the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani when a smiley person whose face could only show respect and hard-working joined the AUIS and became one of the highlighted professors among the AUIS faculty staff members; a face that glimpsed not only a classroom of AUIS, but also the entire AUIS campus. Fahrettin Sumer, an assistant professor of the International Studies & Economics, is the one who gets credit for many candles that continuously brightens AUIS since ever he joined the institution in 2012.

The Third Eye feels obligated to shed the light of the astonishing effort professor Sumer has offered AUIS so far. The Third Eye walked around the campus and found some of those students who know professor Sumer and have classes with him. Unsurprisingly, whatever we heard from the students was words like, “Professor Sumer is by far has been the best professor I have ever known at AUIS,” said a senior business major. “I have never had any problems and difficulties with professor Sumer. He always teaches with his full heart. He not only teaches the course so great, but also respect us more than any other professors at AUIS.”

Some students said that they still have whatever professor Sumer has taught them in their minds and thoughts unlike some other courses.

 “I have taken some classes with Professor Sumer,” said another International Studies major. “I have learnt so much from him and his personality has by far being unforgettable in my mind. His smile and great way of teaching was always inspiring for me to study hard. I hope his model of teaching and behaving be more common at AUIS and some other professors get influenced by the way he teaches.”

After the Third Eye heard many great words by the students about professor Sumer, it thought that would be interesting for the AUIS community to know a bit more about professor Sumer. Luckily, the Third Eye could reach professor Sumer and asked him the following questions.

1. Can you please introduce yourself to the AUIS community and the Third Eye readers? Who is Prof. Summer? Where is he from? What degree(s) has he earned? Where did he leave before coming to AUIS? 

I was born in a village near the Black Sea in Turkey and spent my childhood in that village. I went to middle and high school in a city called Kastamonu. Then I moved to Ankara for my college education in 1985. After finishing my undergraduate degree in International Relations, I went to London to attend a language school and then to the former-Yugoslavia as an exchange student for about a year and a half. Afterward I returned to Ankara, and while working at Gazi University I received a scholarship to go to the U.S. for graduate studies. I first went to Rutgers University in New Jersey and completed my M.A. in Political Science. Then I went to the University of South Carolina and earned my Ph.D. in International Studies as well as a second M.A. in Economics. Before joining AUIS, I worked as a professor at a few universities in South Carolina and Virginia. I also briefly worked in Afghanistan. 

2. How did you decide to come to AUIS?

I was excited about being a part of a newly founded and growing university.

3. How did you find AUIS at the beginning?

My experience at AUIS has been all positive from the beginning. The best part of my experience has been my students. They are more respectful than the average American student and our similar cultural backgrounds made it easier for us to understand one another and connect as professor and student. I like all of my students and enjoy interacting with them.

4. How much progress have you seen at AUIS since you came to AUIS?

Of course, both AUIS’s former President and our new President, Dr. Dawn Dekle, have put their best efforts toward the enhancement of the university. New departments were created, engineering programs have started, new dorms were opened, and new buildings were added while I’ve been here. In parallel, the number of students has increased. I see that the university is going in the right direction and will become one of the best universities in the region.  There are constant efforts to improve the quality of education that our students experience as well as to help them with their future careers.

5. How many hours do you work at AUIS per week?

I try to do my job the best possible way and put in a lot of hours in teaching along with research and service to the university. I work about 60 hours per week when I add up all the work that I do on campus and at home.

6. What do you think about AUIS students?

I think they have great potentials. In order for them to achieve their potentials, they should put in their best effort for learning, which will reward them in the future. I see that many students put in that effort, but there are also students who want to take it easy. I want to push all my students toward higher knowledge levels.

7. The words, “Professor Sumer is the best and most amazing professor I have ever seen" were the words I have heard from many students when I was asking them about you. What do you want to tell those students?

This is very kind of them. I do not consider myself the best professor, but I do work hard to do the best I can. As I said, I like my students a lot and enjoy being with them.

8. What do you expect about the future of AUIS?

I think the future is very bright as long as the country and region stay stable and peaceful.

9. How much you enjoy being in Kurdistan?

It is great to be here. I love to be close to my family as well, who live in Ankara and Istanbul. I can visit them more often.

10. If you have anything else to add, we would be happier to hear.

All of us must work together to make AUIS a great university.  I want the students to be proud of AUIS.

As part of its duty, the Third Eye continues to bring the real side of AUIS professors. Of course, it always truthfully appreciates those who love AUIS and try their best to bring the best out of this institution. At the same time, the Third Eye uses its extra eye to find and inform some of those people who are not doing what they are supposed to do at AUIS. The Third Eye promises its readers to whole-heartedly work to achieve its main goal at AUIS, to create an environment where everyone feels nothing but great. We hope to have many examples like professor Sumer at AUIS.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you to the Third Eye for posting this positive article. The Third Eye is doing a fantastic job of showcasing the positive aspects of AUIS.

    ReplyDelete