Monday 20 February 2012

What If We Think for Solutions for a Second?


One of the AUIS printers that was buried with wasted papers
Photo: From Kardo Kamil's Facebook account

by The Third Eye
I looked over the AUIS's student's facebook pages, groups, and profiles.  The words, "Well, paying for printing sounds logical. Yet, what's ahead then..?" were posted by a student. "Even breathing costs money at AUIS; however, its aim is not making money." stated another one. "Paying for printing papers!!!toooooooooo fffffffuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy." wrote by another student. I read through each comment that was posted by other students beside of hundreds of the so-called "likes" to each of those statements. All I noticed was complaining and criticizing AUIS  for providing such policies.

I thought for a while and recalled some of the moments when I was trying to print something. I could remember some of those moments when I could barely walk through those areas where printers located because of the hundreds of papers that were just printed only for fun. Again, I casted my mind back to bring some other views  from my past memory. This time another sight came up that was a moment when I could barely find my paper that I just printed because of the other hundreds of papers that were printed, filled the printer with, and left behind.
 I tried my best to cast my mind more and more to remember other views about the printers and its areas, but I couldn't bear it, so I posted my comment to one of the other statements that was posted by another student. The words, "I agree that printing should be free. However just look at around the printer. Can u see how many papers have been waster for nothing? What will stop those people to not waste papers like that? I am very sad that Money is the only solution to stop people from doing such.......," were those words I commented to a picture of one of the AUIS printers that was posted  by an AUIS student. Luckily, my comment got some so-called "likes" but not many. However, I just don't care. All our eyes can see are those types of polices. I am surprise why our eyes shouldn't see such terrible sights of the printers?! We are ready to complain, but we never come up with solutions!
 With my all respect, whenever we, in this world and community, hear the word of "free," we will say, "Here we go. Yes, we got it. Let's have fun." We will never have value for anything that is free. We just count those so-called free things as useless. Logic never stop us from doing or not doing anything. Force and money are the two and only ways that can stop us from doing and not doing positive and negative things. I hate to use the word of "thing," but I can't specify anything since it is about almost everything that is free around us. I agree that students have right to ask for free access to the printers. However, I think it is completely logical to charge students for printing as well. We don't have right to complain about that charging until we, all the students, step away from the printers and give a close attention to all the papers that were printed and wasted for nothing. Once we think about that terrible view logically, then we must feel guilty, as human being, for wasting such large number of papers for nothing. After all, we will be able to say, "Hey AUIS, you don't have right to charge us since all we do is printing our assignments."  After we came to a conclusion that whatever picture we feel is nice from google is not worth printing, whatever article we see about anyone is not worth printing, whatever PDF file we need to read for our research papers is not worth printing, whatever word we believe is funny is not worth printing, then we will have right to raise our fingers to the AUIS administration and stop it from passing such policies.
However, when I see students who don't care about how many papers they waste, when I see students who print hundreds of pictures for no reason, when I see students who print hundreds of pictures and just through them away around the printers, when I can barely find my paper among  hundreds of other wasted papers, when I can barely walk through the areas of the printers because of the papers that were just left behind, then I am convinced that AUIS should have such policies not only for printing, but also for the bathrooms where similar situation going on. 
Regards,   


3 comments:

  1. Dear, the Third Eye, there are many more solutions, but the other solutions don't give any financial profits to AUIS; that is why AUIS is charging us- Poor students!!! Another, but better solution would be Limiting the amount of papers of any students. For example, through controlling our account, each students should be allowed to print 100 pages per month. this solution is 100% better for the students, but worse for AUIS because it doesn't provide any money......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Mahdy. I see what you wrote, and some of your writings logically make sense, and I agree that unscrupulous and irresponsible students- if it is me or you or whoever- waste papers foolishly, but some of your arguments do not make any sense to me; for example, when you say money and force can solve our problems, which is I totally disagree. It might have been true in the past, but not now, we are at AUI-S to solve problems only by money! Do you want to be moneylized by AUI-S? Let me tell you how AUI-S is able to solve this issue without charging students. Do you remember when AUI-S limited the papers at the old campus, and it was 100 pages per month. So, AUI-S could have reduced this amount of papers to 50, 40 or even 30 pages per month. Then you could not have seen unwasted papers on the library or any other places. In addition, I have not complained about paying money for printing papers, but I complain about your blog with my respect, because you should have written such an article for students and have told them not to waste papers, not now you open your facebook account and copy students’ comments on your blog and complain them. This is complaining! Please you should write about AUI-S problems on your blog before such a thing is going to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think limiting the amount of papers that each student is allowed to print is the best solution because only then students will not wast papers!


    regards
    Hazha J Akram

    ReplyDelete