Monday 18 February 2013

Business Law, paradox at the heart of AUIS Business Administration Department

by Mahdi Murad


I am taking Business Law as a required course for business majors this semester. Well, I am very excited to take that course as I expect to be not only a businessman, but also a lawyer in the future. What a great opportunity! Who can be that successful person except for the AUIS students? Of course, very few!

It is the first week of this semester. I am very excited to attend such a wonderful class. Moreover, I am more enthusiastic to hold a huge and fancy book and walk around the campus expecting people to say, “Wow! He studies not only business, but also law.”  Give me a break, please.

It is the second week of this semester. What do you think I feel about that course? Do you think I am still eager to attend that class as much as I used to be at the beginning? Simply, a big no? And, there are several reasons behind that. Bear with me for a while, please.


First, That course will teach me not even a single law that can be applicable to this society. Whatever is written there is about the United States and its society. Wait! Do you think I say these laws are wrong? Never. However, I am convinced that it will be a “cold day in hell” to implement even one of those laws in my society. So, do you really think I should waste my time and learn about all these laws? Or, do you recommend me to learn something that I can apply to my society and help improve it? Well, I am saying no and I want you to be a judge to decide about that as well. 

Second, I have five more business courses this semester that I, as a business major, need to take to graduate. What do you think my professors say about almost the same laws that are repeated in the courses they teach almost everyday? Well, “Don’t worry about these laws and pages. It is about the United States.” Now, what should I do? Well, I am totally with those who say that I didn’t need to bother myself and try to learn about a number of laws that I will never ever see again except for this semester.

Simply, here is what I need to learn.

I need to gain some knowledge that I can benefit and apply to improve my life and society after I graduated. I have only two more semesters left before I graduate. It is about less than a year. So, what I need to learn now is something applicable to the environment and place where I will work. I simply don’t need to learn about another country’s laws while I am still struggling to understand the laws and regulations my government has. So, how about offering courses that focus on the laws and regulations that are universally accepted? I don’t mind dedicating hours studying such courses. I will never get enough reading these courses. But, honestly, I take Business Law only because I need the three credits. Otherwise, I don’t even expect to learn anything useful from that course.

Last but not least, I, first, recommend the AUIS Administration to not offer that course again in the future. It is just a waste of time for the students and the professor who teaches this course. I truly believe that we, the students, learn a lot from that professor if we would have another course with him. I am not criticizing the professor at all. It is my honour to have class with him. However, it is just the book that is not useful at all.  Second, I suggest all AUIS students, especially business majors, to not even think about taking that course. I promise you it is just the cover and the size. You will not find almost anything useful and interesting in that book.

Regards,

3 comments:

  1. This means that I did a good job that dropped it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I haѵe just been lookіng for
    infοгmаtion about this topіc for a long time and
    yours is thе greateѕt I've came upon so far. However, what about the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the source?

    My web-site scarring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you dear Anonymous,
    I am not saying that text is not useful at all. However, it is not a good idea to put it as a major requirement for business administration. It will be a great idea if AUIS offers that course as an elective or as a core course requirement.

    About the conclusion, I mentioned what the issue was and left the rest to the AUIS Administration and the chairman of the business administration department to draw a conclusion about that.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete